Search

APK dan JOGJA

Monday, October 8, 2012

Use Of Would

Use of Would




Would: Talking about the past
We often use Would as a kind of past tense of will or going to:
  • Even as a boy, he knew that he Would succeed in life.
  • I thought it Would rain so I brought my umbrella.
Using Would as as a kind of past tense of will or going to is common in reported speech:
  • She said that she Would buy some eggs. ("I will buy some eggs.")
  • The candidate said that he Wouldn't increase taxes. ("I won't increase taxes.")
  • Why didn't you bring your umbrella? I told you it Would rain! ("It's going to rain.")
We often use Would not to talk about past refusals:
  • He wanted a divorce but his wife Would not agree.
  • Yesterday morning, the car Wouldn't start.
We sometimes use Would (rather like used to) when talking about habitual past behaviour:
  • Every weekday my father Would come home from work at 6pm and watch TV.
  • Every summer we'd go to the seaside.
  • Sometimes she'd phone me in the middle of the night.
  • We Would always argue. We could never agree. 

     
Would: Future in past
When talking about the past we can use Would to express something that has not happened at the time we are talking about:
  • In London she met the man that she Would one day marry.
  • He left 5 minutes late, unaware that the delay Would save his life.
  • I knew Julie would make dinner.
  • He promised he would send a postcard from Egypt
  • I knew John would finish the work by 5:00 PM.


Would: Conditionals
We often use Would to express the so-called second and third conditionals:
  • If he lost his job he Would have no money.
  • If I had won the lottery I Would have bought a car.
Using the same conditional structure, we often use Would when giving advice:
  • I Wouldn't eat that if I were you.
  • If I were in your place I’d refuse.
  • If you asked me I Would say you should go.
Sometimes the condition is "understood" and there does not have to be an "if" clause:
  • Someone who liked John Would probably love John's father. (If someone liked John they Would probably love John's father.)
  • You'd never know it. (for example: If you met him you Would never know that he was rich.)
  • Why don't you invite Mary? I'm sure she'd come.
Although there is always a main verb, sometimes it is understood (not stated) as in:
  • I’d like to stay. | I wish you Would. (Would stay)
  • Do you think he'd come? | I'm sure he Would. (Would come)
  • Who Would help us? | John Would. (Would help us) 

     
Would: Desire or inclination
  • I’d love to live here.
  • Would you like some to drink?
  • What I’d really like is some tea.
  • Would you like some tea?
  • I’d like to follow you


Would: Polite requests and questions
  • Would you open the window, please? (more polite than: Open the window, please.)
  • Would you clear the board, please? (more polite than: Clear rhe board, please)
  • Would you go with me? (more polite than: Will you go with me?)
  • Would you know the answer? (more polite than: Do you know the answer?)
  • What Would the capital of Nigeria be? (more polite than: What is the capital of Nigeria?)

Would: Opinion or hope
  • I Would imagine that they'll buy a new one.
  • I suppose some people Would call it torture.
  • I Would have to agree.
  • I Would expect him to come.
  • Since you ask me I’d say she is a beautiful girl

     
Would: Wish
  • I wish you Would come to my party. (I really want you to come to my party. I hope you will com to my party.)
  • They don't like me. I'm sure they wish I’d resign.
  • I wish she Would love me.
  • He wish he Would not in here.
  • I wish I Wouldn’t come late.


Would: Presumption or expectation
  • That Would be Fajar calling. I will not answer it.
  • We saw a police helicopter overhead yesterday morning. Really? They Would have been looking for those bank robbers.
  • That Would be Steve at the door.
  • This is my grandma Jo, and that Would be my granddad George.
  • That Would be Kholis in the yard


Would: Uncertainty
  • The plant Would seem to be getting bigger. (less certain than: The plant seems to be getting bigger.)
  • It Would appear that I was wrong. (less certain than: It appears that I was wrong.)
  • Joe Would seem to be getting better.
  • I Would seem to growing higher.
  • She Would seem to getting richer


Would: Derogatory
  • They Would say that, Wouldn't they?
  • You Would stay here, Wouldn’t you?
  • She Would come to my home, Wouldn’t She?
  • You Would help me, Wouldn’t you?
  • John said he didn't steal the money. Well, he Would, Wouldn't he?


Would that: Regret (poetic/rare) - with clause
This rare, poetic or literary use of Would does not have the normal structure:
  • Would that it were true! (If only it were true! We wish that it were true!)
  • Would that her father were right.
  • Would that it were wrong.
  • Would that my mother had lived to see me become great man.
  • Would that his brother had lived to see him become doctor.








Jangan Lupa di Like Ya!!!






Silahkan berkomentar, kritik dan saran disini!!!